Monday, July 27, 2009

Korean Heroes - Choose Carefully

Korean history is chock full of heroes. Real ones. Christian martyrs. Nation builders. Kings and presidents and ordinary folk who suffered much. That's why I have cringed recently to see the ongoing saga of Dae Joyoung. In Chicago you can see it twice a week on the "Korean" channel. Frankly I was sucked into it for a long while, and we don't watch a lot of TV.

I had just gotten into the study of North Korea, and Korean history in general, when my wife told me I should watch this ongoing "historical" serial about a legendary national hero, Dae Joyoung. When I began to watch, I held a history book in one hand and the remote in the other. I could see the connection between what I was reading and what I was seeing, but I had to marvel about how much extra there was on TV. Then I discovered that the saga of Dae is not meant to be taken as "true" in every respect. Okay, in most respects.

It's obvious that there is some heavy "Hollywood" connection to Korean broadcasting. Though the programming is done well, well enough through make me want to watch every episode, the rationale for its existence seems faulty.

I began to compare the product I was watching from "free" Korea to the real-live pack of lies that comes out of the North every day. School children throughout that land are literally taught to sing the praises of their conquerors, they are made to memorize their words, and facts about their history. But alas, that history is not real either! Facts and fiction have been masterfully blended into a legend that causes thinking persons to blush. It's ridiculous.

The real Korea has real heroes. Why does the South have to stoop to northern tactics of legend-weaving when it can tell the exciting truth about so many men and women? Yes, and why do Americans practice this too?

By the way, there was a Dae Joyoung. He was a leader in the old "Gorguryo", a nation that preceded the modern one. That land was defeated by the Chinese, but Dae rose up to re-conquer, re-settle in a new territory, re-name (Parhae) and establish the northern regions forever for its descendants. That's history. It's great history all by itself. There was no need to add that Dae basically dies and is resurrected. That he could fight 15 men at one time. That he was such a holy man that he would suck the blood and the poison out of a wounded soldier so that the soldier could live. That he could be arrested, escape, and re-arrested and, well, you get the picture. A perfect human being.

Well, I've chosen my heroes. Many of them are Korean. They are the ones who faithfully and daily live for Jesus Christ in a nightmarish land that I cannot comprehend. May God give us all grace to follow them as they follow Christ.

http://chosunhouse.com is a website I put together a few months back to get the word out to believers that they need to pray for North Korea. Just about every day I'm writing a blog featuring some news, a book, or a story of North Korea. There's a live news feed on the site, lists of resources, picture essays, and ways to respond to the overwhelming need in North Korea. Let's love Chosun together!

And who am I? A man found of God over 50 years ago, called to the ministry, serving the Lord as needed in my world. Married, member of a local church in the Chicago area, with full time work in public education. Who are you? Would love to fellowship with believers who respond on my site.

Power Of Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment